Our state of the art 10’x14’ Swim Ex therapy pool has been designed to provide an optimum environment for aquatic therapy. It has multiple depths and a current that can be increased to 6 mph to provide added resistance to your workout. You will be able to increase your strength, endurance and balance while working one on one with one of our physical therapists. Aquatic therapy utilizes the principles of water to assist in your recovery. Buoyancy decreases the weight bearing through your joints thus decreasing joint stressors and ultimately pain. The resistance that the water provides aids in strengthen multiple muscle groups at once.
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy
- Buoyancy- The water helps support the body weight of the patient thus allowing decreased weight bearing resulting in decreased joint stressors.
- Hydrostatic Pressure- The pressure created by the water surrounding the body can help decrease edema in joints.
- Resistance- By moving the body or body part through the water, resistance is created thus allowing for strengthening.
- Pain relief can occur due to the decreased joint stressors and the decreased muscle spasms.
- Heat- The warm water therapy can help relax and decrease muscle spasms.
Aquatic Therapy Facilities at Bellevue Medical Center
- 10’ x 14’ Swim Ex therapy pool
- 6 mph current to provide added resistance training
- Water temperature is maintained at 92-94 degrees
- Water depths range from 4’ to 6’ thus allowing for a variety of exercises including deep water work
- Various pieces of exercise equipment designed specifically for the water including weights and an underwater treadmill
- Entry into the pool by stairs or by a chair lift
- Locker rooms equipped with lockers, bathrooms and showers for patient use
Aquatic therapy at Bellevue Medical Center is performed one on one with a trained therapist who has completed specific aquatic therapy courses including an AquaStretch class. The therapist can also coordinate transitioning the patient out of the pool to land based exercises so the patient can learn to function and perform a home exercise program out of the water.
Common diagnoses that may benefit from aquatic therapy include:
- Back pain/spine rehab
- Sports rehab
- Balance training
- General weakness
- Chronic pain
- Post operative surgeries including: (we do provide waterproof dressings for post op incisions)
- Joint replacements
- ACL/knee surgeries
- Shoulder surgeries
- Ankle surgeries
For more information on the aquatic therapy services offered at the Bellevue Medical Center or to schedule an appointment please contact us at 402-763-3740 or fax us at 402-763-3196.